Please be advised that the digitizer in the MEG lab is currently not working properly. The stylus is not being localized correctly. I am in contact with the company. Please follow this thread for updates.
The stylus is confirmed to be broken and needs to be replaced.
The replacement wand should arrive by tomorrow Thursday Apr 15.
We received the new stylus today. Unfortunately, I ran out of time for testing and I’m not convinced the problem is resolved with the new stylus. I will continue testing tomorrow.
Good news! Long story short, the stylus was indeed broken and everything is working again.
I also fixed some things in Brainstorm to avoid unrelated digitizer configuration issues that complicated my tests.
Please be gentle with the new stylus and don’t drop it. It is rather expensive!